Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Addictions?

I've tried to stay away from most things that would make me addicted to them... I never knew what my genetic predispositions would be so I stayed clear of everything! There is one weakness I have had and which I force on my children...The pacifier. I still remember my own mother taking mine away and putting it in a drawer. You couldn't even count how many times I went to look in that drawer (mother...where did it disappear to)?!? So from that day on I became a thumbsucker. (Not anymore silly). So today is the momentous day that I too will take away my twins binkies and say no more.

They don't even seem to mind...no one has even asked where the hundred dee dees are (what is the matter with them?). I hope that they won't be tramatized...they are pretty old though (3.5 years old). My mother in law tied her son's nuki to a helium balloon and he let it go. My friend let her kid buy a bike in exchange for their dummy. With my oldest we tried cutting the tips off of the binkies (she started sucking her thumb). We're just going to go cold turkey!

Have I mentioned that they don't speak very well (from always having the thing in their mouth and their teeth are misshappen (which I find cute). They can't bite down on food from the front because their teeth don't close (the dentist said it would grow together as soon as they stopped using a binkie). What is the matter with me? Old addictions are hard to give up?!!

3 comments:

wendysue said...

I just did for my kids what my parents did to my binkies. . .gave them to Santa!!

Julie Ramsay said...

My kids think their binkies are at work with Daddy...that has worked until he comes home from work and then the lies start...ummm the binkies are on an airplane doing work. Today they had to go on a train and have to work! We're on day 3 so the lies are needed less and less....now onto potty training times two. Ugh!

mindy said...

I'm so tired of trying to get rid of everything I'm addicted to. Maybe I'll have a contest with myself to see how many things I can get addicted to this week---snickers bars, Dr. pepper, reading in bed, letting my kids make dinner. What else is there? Yes, this is definitely much better than trying to un-addict myself to stuff...